Ace Tips on Hand Chain
Why should you use a hand chain hoist?
- Portability is the principal reason for use of hand chain hoists over powered hoists.
- Initial cost is another important reason why hand chain hoists are often chosen
over powered hoists.
- Hand chain hoists provide excellent spotting capability.
- They need little maintenance.
- Repairability for premium models is excellent.
- Flexibility of operation.
- A hand chain hoist has no electrical components to cause sparks or arcing in explosive
When should you use a hand chain hoist?
Which hand chain hoist should you use?
- When electric or air power is not readily available.
- When portability and flexibility are the key concern.
- When initial cost is an overriding concern.
- When precise spotting of the load is required.
- When long lifts are not required.
- When the inherent spark resistance of a hand chain hoist is called for in an explosion
hazard area. Other spark resistant features such as bronze hooks, bronze wheels,
stainless load chain, and aluminum or bronze hand chain are often required to meet specific requirements.
- For temporary uses such as installations, portable job boxes, etc.
General Hand Chain Hoist Selection Tips
- Use an economy model when initial cost is important but repairability and high efficiency
- Use a premium model when dependability and quality are important considerations.
- Use one with a rated capacity no greater than the structure on which it will be
- Use one with a capacity sufficient for the job at hand.
- Use one with an effort required, that is suitable for the operator.
- Warning: Sometimes people attempt to convert hand chain hoists into electric or
air operation. This should never be done without specific authorization of the manufacturer.
This practice is almost universally dangerous because this hand-operated equipment
has not been designed for continuous high-speed operation.
- Premium hand chain hoists differ from the economy models in the amount of machining
done, and quality of materials used in the manufacturing process. Better materials
and more machine work have a higher cost but produce a more efficient and reliable
CAUTION: These tips are provided as a starting point in the selection process and
are not universally applicable. Please consult our experts for the solution to your
specific application problem.